Sunday, April 20, 2014

P.I.O.L.O.

Scoring 70 in "Flappy Bird" or getting 20 likes for your #selfie is impressive, but not really epic enough to tell your grandkids, or cats if you're likely to end up a cat lady. They'd want to hear more about the exciting and crazy adventures that you had. Did you sail in the Pacific Ocean with a Bengal Tiger? Did you eat barbecue scorpions? Fun stories rarely have anything to do with tapping an obese bird to pass through pipes.
Pocahontas Nicolas Cage
Feel the colors of the wind!
You don't have to be a cliff-diving Nicolas Cage daredevil to enjoy life. All you need is to loosen up a bit! Here are some things you could try:

1. Be brave and ask
Ask important life questions like "where's Wally?" and "what does the fox say?" Seriously though, ask and be nonchalant about the response since any person might be game or not.
Sometimes it's a pleasant surprise when someone is nice enough to play along. One of my friends in TLG asked if we could have a group shot in a photo booth we happened to pass by. The booth was from a fraternity party. The booth guy eventually said yes.
Thank you to Monica's charm!
2. Let it go a la Elsa
My "Dove Girl" body means that I have no abs (yet) so I've been self conscious about my physique for a long time. But I thought, 50 years from now I'll be really old (wow brilliant epiphany). I don't want to be 75, regretting not checking one of the superficial items in my short term goals. This was wearing a 2-piece swimsuit. Sooo sing with me! "My tummy never bothered me anywayyy!" I wore the swimsuit that I've always wanted to during one of TLG's road trips. It was liberating in the sense that I finally stopped caring about what others would say. Sort of hardcore!
group shot quirino
That's me on the left with the blue swimsuit and Vicki Belo smile

3. Be okay with being goofy in public
I'm an Xbox Kinect superstar in "Dance Central" but in real life, I'm no twinkle toes. In a sea of graceful women who are seemingly spineless, there is Sheena, the dancing 5'1" walking stick attempting to wiggle my hips while looking flawless. I obviously fail in this department, similar to the time that I challenged one of the Philippine All Stars' dancers to a dance-off. Thank you strobe lights for making me look cool anyway! My friends had a good laugh and I felt like a winner.

4. Don't try to control everything
There are a bazillion things that you have no control over. This includes "One Direction's" new tattoos and the insane traffic during pay day Friday.
Another example are the prints from an instant camera. One perk is me staring at the cute guy who is shaking our photo. He thinks it'll develop faster. I didn't correct him because I was enjoying the gorgeous view. What was my point? Oh right! Just like 1D's tattoo and the instant print, be okay if things are far from what you expected. It can be liberating or frustrating, that's up to you.

5. Stay Curious
Breaking free from the dull life involves an open mind to new experiences. You get to learn about yourself and get to meet new people too. From places I don't normally frequent, I've discovered that: I like being a pretzel from Yoga, I don't enjoy crowded bars, and painting a park wall is fun stuff.
esteban abada, park, shark, fish
Majestic creatures! Just look at the brush strokes! Wow!
Overall, a good chunk of enjoying life is about loosening up and being open to new things.  that might be a mistake or one of the best things that you could ever experience. 
So go ahead, yell P.I.O.L.O. (which stands for <bleep> I Only Live Once), be a free spirit and go find a more catchy motto!
That's my name!
(photo courtesy of ABS-CBN)
What new thing have you done lately? I'd love to know!
Travel Blogs
Travel blogs directory Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

Thank you! :)